Saturday, April 10, 2010

JQ Preview at NorwesCon

A week ago, members of the JourneyQuest team attended the 33rd annual NorwesCon to offer the world the first glimpse of JQ footage. I arrived early in the morning, got my badge, and set about on some general, all-purpose meandering.
.
.
The art show was particularly spectacular. The sculpture work blew me away. On display were works of fairy tale fantasy,
otherworldly masks, and future-past/steampunk gadgetry. Along one wall was a costume piece we used in JourneyQuest: a wicked skull pauldron worn by our lascivious orc shaman, designed by freelance artist and Seattle Knight Douglas Herring.
.
Speaking of the Knights, I did a double take when I chanced upon a sketched portrait of their commander, Dameon Willich, who in addition to being
JourneyQuest's Production Designer and Fight Director is a tremendously accomplished artist in his own right. It was not a self-portrait, either. That guy's everywhere. It's starting to scare me ...
.
After the art show, I scored some $2 paperbacks in the exhibit hall and decided to sit in on a panel or to. I arrived just in time to attend a talk about writing for the gaming industry. On that panel was my good buddy Sean Reynolds, a prolific game designer who works for Paizo. He also played the Inquisitor in Dorkness Rising.
.
Sean K Reynolds, shown smiling
.
The panel was surprisingly informative, and gave me more than a few ideas for future projects. I got to catch up with him afterward, and he was as glad to see me as his picture above indicates. About that time, I bumped into con organizer Rob Stewart, who played the Innkeeper in Dorkness Rising (see a pattern?). He ushered me into the green room and gave me my "panelist" badge sticker, which, among other things, meant I got free coffee.
.
Rob Stewart, also thrilled to see me
.
After drinking all the coffee in the green room, I quivered and pulsated my way back among the panels. The JourneyQuest sneak peek wasn't until 10pm, so I still had some time to kill. Lo and behold, I found myself at a panel with the incomparable JoAnne Kirley, our costumer from JourneyQuest. She was teaching the numerous costumed attendees how to move in their magnificent attire without tripping themselves, and how to post for the camera without looking like someone had just drowned their cat. It occurred to me that I'd somehow managed to only attend panels with people I've worked with.
.
At 8pm, I and the rest of the JQ team at the con attended a show by A Little Knight Music, the Seattle Knights' choral group. It was a memorial concert for their fallen member, John Moore. The place was packed, the performance wonderful, alternately bawdy and hilarious, somber and bittersweet. Nobody wanted them to stop. A finer choir I have not seen in many a year.
.
When 10pm rolled around, we made our way into Evergreen 2 for the JourneyQuest panel. Fans packed the room. First, we showed a 13-minute documentary of behind-the-scenes footage shot by our producer, Corrie Moore of Kairos Productions. That we followed immediately with the 5-1/2 minute convention exclusive teaser trailer, the first time JQ footage had been shown to the public. They liked it so much, we showed it twice. And because it was (and is) a convention exclusive, I can't share it with you here. Long story short, they loved it and wanted more. Hooray, our audience likes the new show.
.
Congrats all around
.
So, by all appearances, the JQ sneak peek was a success. I will be posting promotional photos in the coming days; you may have seen some of them on facebook. There will likely be a non-exclusive teaser/trailer up on the site in the coming weeks as well. I'm keeping busy editing the first cut of the season. We are still set to release the first episodes in July, though we don't have a set date yet.
.
To everyone on the JourneyQuest and NorwesCon teams: thank you for a wonderful con experience. I can't wait to share more with you.

No comments: